Program for the restructuring and regulation of Iasi public transport - Section length: 15 km
The city of Iasi, with 340,000 inhabitants, intends to upgrade and improve its urban transportation system. For these purposes, Iasi counts on a loan from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). A section of this program was devoted to the upgrading of the city’s tramway network. The restructuring of the transport system also covered the reorganization of Iasi RAPT, the state-owned transport company.
The main targets of this project were:
- Define the roles of the different transport companies and build up a long-term strategy of public transport.
- Assist the City Council to negotiate and sign a Public Service Contract with RATP.
- Give advice on the legal and organizational structure of the chosen public transport plan.
- Prepare a system of tenders for the private mini-buses in order to foster competition.
- Check investments needs in the public transport sector.
- Develop a plan for the restructuring of the urban public transport in Iasi, with a schedule of developed services.
- Assess the current situation in terms of public transport.
- Draft the public service contract.
- Strengthen the legal and institutional frames.
- Define the strategy for the restructuring of the transport system.
- Prepare an investment program.
- Develop an action and implementation plan.