The main purpose of Parque Várzeas do Tietê Project (PVT) is the environmental recovery of valleys in Alto Tietê Basin, through the implementation of a 75-kilometer linear park, aiming to preserve its ecological functions, including reduction of floods in the Metropolitan Area of São Paulo, as well as to improve living conditions of the population affected by the flooding events.
The purpose of the Environmental Education Program (PEA) is to provide a change in values and attitudes regarding the environment, which is a common good, through several measures to be developed together with the population directly and indirectly affected by the execution of the first phase of PVT. Besides, the program aims to:
- Develop formal and informal didactic contents and methodologies on Environmental Education, environmental, social and economic aspects of the areas affected by PVT, aiming to enable those directly involved to see the environment as something close and significant.
- Develop a relationship network among the several parties involved, so that they may exchange information on themes of Environmental Education, promoting synergy between the several coexisting activities in the region, thus maximizing the capability to propose and implement joint solutions;
- Help people take measures to protect and enhance the environment, develop a sense of responsibility and enable an active participation to preserve and solve environmental, social and economic issues;
- Show each participant of these education and awareness-raising processes their important role in the preservation and transformation of the environment in which they live, highlighting the relevance of the environmental theme to construct a sustainable future;
- Begin a process of formation of a collective and distinctive environmental consciousness, enabling and facilitating a commitment by the community with the preservation of the natural and cultural environment;
- Train inspectors to provide basic notions of environmental education and transmit eco-friendly habits and practices.